NATO killing of civilians doubled

(PressTV) – NATO statistics show that Afghan civilians killed by foreign forces have more than doubled this year compared to the same period a year ago.

According to the figures released by the International Security Assistance Forces, NATO troops killed 72 Afghan civilians in the first three months of 2010 — up from 29 in the same period last year.

Press TV
April 17, 2010

This comes a day after the UN’s Special Representative to Afghanistan criticized the military alliance for the civilian casualties in the country.

Staffan de Mistura has said he is seriously concerned by the casualties in recent NATO military operations. NATO claims the killings were accidental.

Meanwhile, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top US commander in Afghanistan, intends to push into Kandahar, a more densely populated area than the Helmand areas where he has placed most of his operational emphasis to date.

President Hamid Karzai has said he will oppose any Kandahar action without local support. Also, on a recent trip with McChrystal to a local shura, the elders have objected to the impending operation and said that they are unhappy with it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s